Not a day goes by without a client posing this question: Can Amazon AWS or Microsoft Azure be qualified so that I can run my apps on it? Here is a 9 Step systematic answer to this very popular question.
- Step 1: Design your BASE Cloud Infra (combination of IaaS / PaaS)
- Step 2: Divide your BASE into logical Services (Core Services (e.g. Networking, Compute) & Management Services (e.g. Auditing, Monitoring))
- Step 3: Build your DEV BASE IaaS/PaaS. Finalize and test your configuration.
- Step 4: Develop a Qualification Plan / Governance Framework
- Step 5: Build your QA BASE IaaS/PaaS
- Step 6: Qualify each Service (Each Service at a minimum requires a Service Design Specification, Service Qualification Protocol, SOPs/WIs to manage Operation, Administration
- Step 7: Deploy PROD BASE IaaS/PaaS
- Step 8: Add or Modify Services to build out your Cloud under Change Control
- Step 9: Build a "continuous" qualification platform for each Service to provide documented evidence that your Service continuous to work as designed (irrespective of many changes pushed by the Cloud Vendor)